Do you know that the efficiency of the DevOps for a business depends on the level of security integrated on it? This might be new for many enterprises but the integration of the security into DevOps is significant as the speed of the DevOps process will make apps who are in the development stage vulnerable to dangerous attacks. With the correct DevOps security measures, you can easily prevent this.
DevOps security team and developers should understand and have a basic idea about each others’ goals as well as requirements. There might be certain people who assume security personnel to be the speed breakers preventing DevOps security team from moving forward. But the main job of any security personnel is to handle risk in an efficient manner. For accomplishing this, the security team needs to integrate security measures into the DevOps process.
In most firms, this is considered to be a brand new methodology. Plus different structures are required for various kinds of companies. The component of the program management ecosystem is global security function. Here security is integrated as one of the major members of the development organization through other security models.
Blockchain – Necessary Security
The underlying technology behind cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin is blockchain. This is commonly used for securing the bitcoin wallet. By incorporating blockchain into the DevOps process, you are increasing its agility as well as providing efficiency. This integration of security will benefit the DevOps process of an organization in many ways.
Analyzing & Understanding DevOps Workflow
Following are some of the major procedures involved –
- Developers will create code and test it. This is managed by version control systems like Git
- The various changes will be committed to the Git
- Jenkins will pull the code, especially from the repository. Then it will build and run unit tests along with the static code analysis. This is done to identify security defects and code quality bugs.
- Now an infrastructure like code tool which is Chef will create an environment. It will even deploy the apps and apply security configurations to the given system.
- In addition, Jenkins will run an automated test suite which will be against the newly deployed apps. This includes the back-end, UI, API, integration and security tests.
- Once the app successfully passes all the given tests, the app will get deployed to the production. This is done by using the same infrastructure as code tool which was used in the previous environment.
- Tools like Splunk and New Relic will monitor the production environment so that any kind of active cybersecurity threats are detected.
There are a whole lot of benefits with regard to development and understanding DevOps. It even includes operation and security. Besides these, it even removes silos and helps in promoting teamwork and collaboration along with identifying vulnerabilities earlier on.
In addition, the DevOps process will even contribute to business values from the dollars and the resources saved along with improving operations, reducing security threats, reducing reworks and increasing the quality with automated testing. So, it means that we can spend some more time in adding customer value to software and end up in spending less time and money in fixing expensive security vulnerabilities that are commonly identified in the production or delivery processes.
Benefits In Integrating Security To DevOps Process
Sometimes the security team might be one of the components of the development organization. So, they really need to maintain close contact with the global security office. However, they can even become closer to product development. It means they would be working closely with the feature development team and even try to determine stories for adding to the sprints.
You need to keep in mind that these assessments would not wait till the end and should be planned in the first sprint so that it makes sense. Here the goal lies to produce apps which are not only safe for customers but even have assessments which are easily known and holds up to the customer audit.
How To Incorporate Security In DevOps?
For enabling a continuous security mindset, automated security or DevOps Security needs to be covered by automated test cases which are simply related to security that happens in continuous integration or deployment process. It must be done in the following phases –
- Integration Phase – Here a full sanity checks must be done for internal or external endpoints, making sure that any new kind of workloads won’t break the DevOps security policies.
- Regular Operations – This consist of near real-time automated enforcement and proper utilization of continuous monitoring system.
- Image Creation & Hardening – This is a part of the delivery pipeline and must be automated
- Infrastructure Creation Phase – Here one uses test utilizing tools like RSpec or server spec
- Build Phrase – Simply one uses the code analysis in this method.
No doubt, understanding DevOps methodology will simply instigate the vulnerabilities in security and sometimes the blind spots bought by a new system. However, fewer workplace silos and better communication will easily help in addressing this issue faster. Nowadays, security is integrated into the DevOps process by utilizing many kinds of technologies. Frankly, it is highly important to have security integrated into the process, irrespective of whatever method works for the best interest of the firm.